Friday, May 21, 2010

I Really Wasn't Going To Post This, But What The Hell

I was trying to write this post earlier. It made no sense to me then, and I don't know if it's going to now. I'm working from memory here, since I deleted the original. If anyone's reading, please be kind.

I haven't posted in a few days. Things have been kind of crazy, even for me. Found out on Tuesday that one of my great-uncles (I only have 2 left living, out of what used to seem like a few million.) had a stroke Monday night. Having just seen him a few days beforehand, I'm having a complete "does not compute" time with this. So I haven't been inspired to write more than 140 characters at a time.

While writing my 140 at a time, I noticed something. As a geek, I get asked a lot of tech questions. They don't bother me in the least. But I have a friend from another forum I spend time on that's just found me on twitter. Since I haven't been on this other forum for more than 5 minutes at a time lately, he's been without someone to ask about all this crazy tech stuff that I adore and confuses other people. (I said I'm a geek,right?) So, he's found me on Twitter, (I had no idea he'd signed up), and now has a reliable place to ask me about tech stuff.

As I've been helping him and others navigate the tech and electronics waters, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that answering tech questions in 140 characters is not that easy. It usually requires at least 2 tweets to answer. It probably doesn't help that if I'm not typing with my thumbs, I have this speed problem that seems to annoy the HELL out of Twitter's API.

So right now, I'm at a loss on what to do. Do I turn this blog into a Q&A on tech stuff? Do I spend more time on the other forum? (Note: I don't spend much time on the other forum because a lot of immature people have pretty much taken it over. Immaturity and I don't get along.) Do I give people looking for help my e-mail address and start checking it more than once every couple of days? Or, do I cave and finally get myself a facebook account?

I could use some advice, blogosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment